Thursday 7 November 2013

Call Boy (Not THAT way...)

Wow, check it! It's a rare sight of blogging two days in a row! Today was all about calling people and you might think, what? No, I'm not a telemarketer and no I'm not some socialite who gets calls 24/7/365. The calls today was all about schoolwork and man they are NOT your ordinary schoolwork.

To start, one of my assignments had me call this former teacher who married a classmate (it's all role-play, don't get all ugh) to convince her to let me (role-playing as a journalist) interview her and her husband. Okay, I admit, I was stunned when i got this scenario. I was all 'damn damn damn damn damn' for about half an hour until my panic reached a level when you don't care anymore. So I dialled the number and waited. No fear, no fear at all.

On the second ring i panicked again because I realised one important thing: I didn't prepare any questions or proper counter-arguments at all before calling. But then that level of panic hit and I went all mellow inside. Guess who picked up: my lecturer herself who gave us this assignment. Shocker. Granted, I knew the lecturers would be role-playing with us but I didn't expect to get the lecturer who set us our work. (psst! She's also good at asking hard questions that make you sweat. I'm sorry it's true of Ms Stella) 

I winged it of course. I'm not sure whether it is a loophole but nowhere on the assignment said exactly HOW do I persuade my potential 'interviewee' to cooperate. So I made up a bunch of stuff and man is it hard to tell a person's mood over the phone. At least I didn't stumble in my speech or hesitated too long. After the somewhat successful call where I secured an 'interview', I particularly skipped down the hallways thinking 'IT'S OVER' repeatedly. Treated myself to ice-cream too :)

Last thing is a little bit more mundane but I did another assignment with one of the Engineering dudes for our joint class. We talked over Skype and wow did we really go at it. Took almost 1 hour and 45 minutes we did! Also, because of my exhilaration in clearing the Call, I was really upbeat and cheerful during the Skype chat with Edwin (the guy I was paired with for the assignment).  Since Semester 1 I knocked fists with three of the guys from Engineering: Joseph, Edwin and Pei Xiang. Man, they are AWESOME. Always whenever I'm around them I almost go high and crazy. I definitely become more cheerful whenever I'm around Jo, Ed and Ah Xiang. 

Ah, friendship. Loneliness is such a dreadful thing. Of course, solitude can bring peace and serene moments to you but we should have a balance between alone time and social time, don't you all agree? 

Thought of the day: Admit it. There is no BEST friend. You refer to them all as your BEST FRIENDS. Goodnight!

P.S: I think this is my 50th post!

No comments:

Post a Comment